Findochty is a village in Banffshire, Scotland, on the shores of the Moray Firth.
The Gaelic name of the village was recorded by Diack using his own transcription method as-guchti, which is of unclear meaning.
One of the earliest references to Findochty is in 1440, when the King granted Findachtifeild to John Dufe, son of John Dufe.
The lands passed from the Duffs to the Ogilvies of Findlater, and subsequently, in 1568, the Ord family acquired the manor, port, custom, and fishers’ lands of Findochty, and later built the House of Findochty, known as Findochty Castle, now a ruin, which stands to the west of the village.
In 1716 the Ords brought 13 men and 4 boys from Fraserburgh under contract to fish from Findochty, and for a time the harbour was busy with landings of herring and white fish.
Findochty expanded as a fishing port through the 1700s and 1800s, and by 1850 was home to 140 fishing boats. But the expansion in the late 1800s of nearby Buckie provided a better harbour, and some of the fishing fleet had left Findochty by 1890.
Findochty harbour is now used mostly by pleasure craft and is a good sun spot when the tide is out. A local artist, Correna Cowie, created a statue in 1959 of a seated fisherman, known as The Mannie, who watches over the harbour.